About Henderson State

When you look back at the history of Henderson State one thing will become very clear, very quickly—we’ve always played by our own set of rules.

Founded in 1890 as Arkadelphia Methodist College, we are the only one of Arkansas’s nine public universities that is now named for an individual—Charles Christopher Henderson, a Trustee and prominent Arkadelphia businessman. We are one of only two originally established as a four-year, degree-conferring institution; and we’re the second oldest state university in Arkansas.

Henderson’s first class included 110 students, who were taught by 10 faculty members. From 1929 to 1967 the university was known as Henderson State Teachers College, which is one reason our education programs are among the most respected in the region to this day.

Throughout our history, throughout the six different names under which we have operated, and throughout the tenures of the 15 presidents who have guided Henderson, our mission and goal has remained steadfast… to provide the best possible university education throughout Arkansas and beyond. To learn more about our history, visit the University Archives.

Our Mission

Henderson State University is Arkansas’s public liberal arts university. True to the century-long tradition that has distinguished Henderson since its founding, the university remains dedicated to providing excellent undergraduate curricula and graduate programs. Henderson, a Southern regional institution with a diverse student body, advocates a program based on the liberal arts, regardless of specific educational interests. Through a common core of courses in arts and sciences, as well as through the more specialized curricula, the university fosters the maximum growth and development of each student.

Visit our website to find out more about Henderson State University.